Hundreds of fans of Ahly football club, known as the Ultras Ahlawy, are staging a protest outside the office of general prosecutor Talaat Ibrahim at the High Court building in central Cairo on Saturday, March 16, calling for the release of members of the group who were detained in the Delta governorate of Menoufiya.
The large group chanted against the interior ministry and lit fire-works. In addition, Ultras members are staging a protest in front of the deportation prison in Menoufiya, calling for the same demands.
Thirty-eight members of the Ultras Ahlawy were arrested in Menoufiya, Wednesday for attempting to storm the Shibin al-Kom courthouse to free a colleague remanded into custody for 15 days.
The group had gathered at the court to protest against the detention of one of their members, who was arrested in front of the governorate's security directorate the previous week on charges of rioting and attempting to storm the directorate.
However, clashes broke out with the security forces as the Ultras threw rocks and fire-works at the court and the police responded by firing tear-gas to disperse the crowds.
The group announced on their official Facebook page on Friday that they would be marching to the prosecutor-general's office at the High Court building in Cairo to demand the releasing of the 38 Ultras.
Local News Agency: Middle East Bureau / VCS
Shooting Dateline: March 16, 2013
Shooting Location: Cairo, Egypt
Publishing Time: March 16, 2013
Video Size: 63.1 MB
1. Tilt down shot of protestors of Ultras Ahlawy outside the High Court building in central Cairo
2. Various shots of Ultras Ahlawy members shouting statements against the Interior Ministry and the public prosecutor Talaat Ibrahim
3. Pan left shot of people around the High Court building downtown Cairo
4. Medium shot of a banner raised by members of Ultras Ahlawy reading “We will Never forget 47” in reference to the members of Ultras Ahlawy killed in Port Said
5. Various shots of Ultras Ahlawy shouting statements and lit fire-works
6. Various shots of Ultras Ahlawy shouting statements against the Interior Ministry
7. Various shots of the protest downtown Cairo